12 March, 2005

Robert's Adventure

27 September 2004

This is the story of me. When I say me I am referring to myself, Robert. I'm a spider. I live in a crack in the wood in someone's house. It’s quite roomy! I have my web spun across the back like a hammock. I guess I look like any old spider except for the maroon spot on my back. My friend's call me the "Maroon Widower". I have really big feelers on my head that I use to probe things since I can't see too well. Well that’s enough about me for now. This is about my adventure. I’m lucky to be able to recount it for you today. It’s almost claimed my life. I know you big people don’t think much of it when you squish one of our innocent comrade’s but just think of it this way: You’re just walking along minding your own business and all of a sudden this giant comes out of nowhere and start’s chasing you! It’s only apparent intent is to kill you with all due speed. You run for your life screaming to all other living creatures to head for the hills. Then, it happens. You don’t really know what happens but it does. As far as I know you get squished. All that’s left of you is a little puddle. Okay! Now on to my adventure! I was hiding from the people who live in the house. It just so happened that I was hiding in the water spout. Suddenly it got very dark. Something had closed over the end of the spout! I was trapped. I ran down the pipe and into the ground as fast as I could. It was then that I heard a deafening screech from above. As if in response I heard a low rumbling from below. It was getting louder and louder. It was getting closer too! I was helpless. I waited for whatever it was to strike. All of a sudden I was flying upward! Then I smashed my head on something hard. I was to find out later that it was the top of the water spout. When I fell down I landed in something very wet. I think it was water. Then I was flying down a long black tunnel. I couldn’t see a thing. Then I saw a light at the end of the tunnel! It was the salvation of the world for me. As I got closer and closer it got bigger and bigger. Then when I thought I was going to pass into the realm of my grandfather and uncle, I was flying through the air! Flying, flying, falling, falling and then falling some more. It seemed an eternity before I crashed back to earth with a resounding thud. The next thing I knew was my Dad leaning over me and my Mom in the background. I was in my house! I was safe and as far as I knew I wasn’t in the realm of grandpa or anyone else for that matter. I was home.

THE END. (Or is it?)

No comments: